MBEAM home  MBEAM WWW homeWWW home   RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R1200RS initial impressions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wraithwrider

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2015 13:57    Post subject: R1200RS initial impressions Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Taken from the RS forum:

I work nights and got up today at about 1330. It is forecast to be the best day of the week even though itís damp and very overcast. It was a chilly 7 degrees C or so.

Having a brand new bike sat in the garage and not riding it is difficult. Even more so is that itís more than two months since I sold my previous 2 and I havenít ridden in all that time Sad

So I grabbed a quick breakfast and got her out for her maiden voyage. I rode for 57 miles on mainly rural roads with a lot of debris and road closures from the severe flooding weíve had recently. Roads I know well and good biking roads too. I was out a couple of hours and it was dark when I got home and put the bike away.

Iíve ridden a demo for 70 odd miles but it was a lardy Lupine blue one so much slower Very happy

I thought I'd give my initial impressions. What can I say? It was everything I hoped for and then some. I have the extra low seat fitted for my 29Ē inside leg and Iím easily flat footed at a standstill. Once underway I was initially a little worried that seat to peg distance was too small but I soon settled in to my comfort zone. One thing that was very noticeable is that the standard screen on the lowest setting was vastly better than the same screen with the standard seat. I sit very tall on the bike with a long torso but I didnít feel the need to raise the screen at all at speeds up to 82 mph (according to the GPS) although I only remember seeing 75 on the speedometer. The billet footrests offer some lowering possibilities so that may be useful; Iíll see how it goes.

Talking of the speedometer Iím not a fan of it. I find it a lot of effort to work out my speed although that will get better with familiarity of needle position. The linear tachometer I actually do like, maybe because as an ex marine engineer Iím used to looking at a whole gamut of different gauges for information? I also like the way that the number on the tacho goes bold as you go up and down the revs. Iíll try the digital speedo some time and see if I prefer that display. Generally speaking I found the display clear and very useful. Much better than the ST1300 info panel thats near impossible to read a lot of the time.

I ran the bike between 3 and 4k rpm and the change up arrow just served to annoy as it was always on. Iíll turn it off. Iíll run up to 4k rpm up to 100 miles and progressively rise up to 5k at 600 miles. The engine was smooth and hinted at lots of torque. I did a couple of double overtakes and changed up twice using the shift assist. A big grin ensued Smile

I found the bars wider than I remembered and not much of a stretch. I was able to keep my elbows bent and the ease with which the bike was accurately place-able was very satisfying. I felt the urge to sit off a little and drop the inside elbow much more than on my old Pan European ST1300.

I had the suspension and riding mode both in Road and response and comfort were spot on in what were very greasy conditions. New PR4's gave no hint of squirming. I felt very much at home on the bike straight away.

I did some filtering (lane splitting) coming back through Lancaster and Kendal and compared to the ST1300 it was much easier with the reduced weight and a lower centre of gravity making itself felt.

I initially changed gear with the clutch a lot as it was a lazily paced ride with a fair bit of traffic to negotiate. Smooth gear changes were easily achieved. On some more open stretches I used the shift assist and it worked really well 3/4/5/6/5/4/3 but not so well between 2nd and 3rd. Not an issue as I just use the clutch.

Heated grips were very effective and I wore my summer gloves. Mirrors good once set properly and the display of bike data on the NAV V is impressive even if my eyesight isnít so. Tyre pressure to 2 decimal places anyone?

Brakes werenít worked hard but they seemed good. The Clearwater Darla LEDs I didnít notice until I sounded my horn on some woman cage driver who was rolling over a junction. It wasnít dark but the Darlaís are set to go to 100% when you sound the horn and they lit the car up just fine Smile I did set them up to 30% brightness at my stop using the BMW 'Wonderwheel' controller. A neat trick.

So I was a comfortable and happy, in fact a very happy bunny and the bike did just what I wanted and it felt at ease doing so. Loads of potential too. It's covered in grime but hopefully the ACF50 will do it's job.

Devilís Bridge is our local bike gathering spot. In the Summer you can expect hundreds of bikes there and a whole lot of bikers talking complete bollox. Today it was just me talking to myself.

One odd thing I did notice was that although the Daytime Running Light was set to auto it wasn't on and the dipped beam was on instead. Could this be due to the overcast conditions?

phil ( Farmer Phil)

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2015 14:23    Post subject: Re: R1200RS initial impressions Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Nice looking bike Peter
See you soon

Phil
Bob
Site Admin

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2015 16:20    Post subject: Re: R1200RS initial impressions Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

wraithwrider wrote:
One odd thing I did notice was that although the Daytime Running Light was set to auto it wasn't on and the dipped beam was on instead. Could this be due to the overcast conditions?

Almost certainly Peter, mine was the same today.

Looks nice Cool

Bob
Frank Wood
Observer

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015 13:08    Post subject: Re: R1200RS initial impressions Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

A very nice looking bike Peter

Glad you are happy

Just wish it wasn't yet another Beemer !!!!

I'm beginning to feel the odd one out on our runs ....LOL

Frank
Davidgrange
Observer

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2015 02:43    Post subject: Re: R1200RS initial impressions Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Happy new bike Pete Very Happy looks and sounds great. If you are already sliding around in the seat once you can give it the berries in sport mode reckon you be smiling like a Cheshire Cat. Red st1300's are sooooo last year Wink
Cheers
David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBEAM Forum Index -> General -> Bike reviews All times are United Kingdom time
Page 1 of 1

Watched Topics  

Jump to: